Sunday, July 5, 2026

Hail, Hail, the Gang's All Here


I knew it would be a busy week with family here and all sorts of activities going on every day, so I decided to stick with my day-by-day format to try and keep it all in order. Last Sunday evening the first wave of family arrived with Miriam and Hannah coming back from the Thayn's house with Henry, Gwen, June, Mabel, and Florence. Next door at the Shillig's house, the Kuprovs returned from their trip down south. So we went to having no children on the compound, to having seven – and that was just the beginning.

Monday__________

The morning was cool and quiet and sunny. A lovely late June morning. I was up at my usual time, looking forward to the quiet space in the day when I'm the only one up and about. That didn't last long. At 6:15 I heard children moving around upstairs. I couldn't believe they were up already. We had to have a discussion about waking up too early and then waking up other children. We imposed a rule that if you wake up early you have to stay in your bed until 7:00 and read and not disturb anyone else. Let's see how well that works.

I had to make a run to the dairy first thing so there would be milk for breakfast. When I got back, the girls had already raided the dress up box and came down to breakfast dressed as grannies. By 7:30 breakfast was done and the children were out the door.

I had things to do before the heatwave hit. I realized the tomatoes in the high tunnel would fry in the heat. They needed some air circulation. I went to the hardware store and got some supplies and then altered the sides of the tunnel to allow the air to move and the heat to escape.

The high tunnel with its altered sides.

I also mowed. It was pretty hot by then, but I finished by noon. Toward evening, I watered my flowerbeds and vegetable garden. I gave all the garden a deep soak. Temperatures in the high 80s and 90s are rare here. The plants are not used to it. Neither are the people.

While I was doing all of that, Miriam was trying to keep the children engaged. She had them playing games. They painted a welcome banner for those arriving later in the week. Even with all her efforts, it seems the children don't stay with one thing for too long. If undirected, they tend to wander aimlessly.

After dinner, Miriam and Hannah took the children to visit one of Hannah's friends who has three baby raccoons. The mother raccoon abandoned them and Hannah's friend has been trying to take care of them. The children loved them. They all thought they wanted a pet raccoon, but they don't make good pets. I told them they should read Rascal by Sterling North or watch the movie to see what happens when you try to make a raccoon your pet.

Henry loved the raccoons.

After dinner I went out and watered in the big garden. I didn't finish until the sun had set and Venus was sparkling in the western sky. It was a beautiful summer evening. As I walked back to the house, the catbird was still singing and there were fireflies in the orchard.

Tuesday__________

I went out first thing and did some watering before the sun was up. I knew it was going to be another roasting hot day. It was a beautiful summer morning. Standing at the front of the big garden, watering melon vines, I could look across the road at the beaver pond. There was a great blue heron fishing for its breakfast on the far bank of the pond. I watched as it caught something and swallowed it. I don't know what it was, a small fish or maybe a frog. As I came back to the house, I startled a rabbit on the edge of the orchard. I don't mind rabbits in the orchard, but they don't stay there. They go into the garden and eat things they shouldn't.

These were my favorite poppies this morning.

The 7:00 Rule worked this morning. No unwanted early risers. I spent the morning getting the things done that I wanted to accomplish before it got too hot. I weeded the asparagus patch, which meant more than an hour on hands and knees going down the rows. It was hot work despite my intentions. After that, I took it easy for the rest of the afternoon. We hit 88°, and that's pretty hot. I don't complain about the heat. We get so little of it, I revel in it when it comes. I'd rather sweat than shiver.

Miriam took the children swimming at Erway's pond midafternoon. I didn't go with them. I took advantage of a very quiet house to grab a nap. Hannah came home from work early and joined them at the pond. We used to swim at Erway's pond all summer back in the day. It's been a few years. I'm glad we're there again.

Henry with tadpoles they caught in the pond.

There's a new dock.

And the float has been repaired.


After dinner, I had the children pick strawberries. They have a chore chart (thank you Grandma) and needed a garden chore to fill in. When we finished, I spent the rest of the evening watering out in the big garden. The evening was warm and the breeze refreshing. When I came back in the house, Miriam had made some ice cream that I could eat (meaning, no sugar). It was delicious. The perfect way to end the day.

We borrowed a nice telescope from the Rigases and after dark, Miriam took it out into the big garden so people could look at the Strawberry Moon. They were out until late, long after I was in bed.

The Strawberry Moon rising.

Wednesday – The First of July__________

I was awakened at 2:30 this morning by the sound of rain. It was a warm night and the windows on my side of the bedroom were open. The rain was hitting the big leaves on the hostas that grow at the front of the house just outside the window by the head of my bed. They made a pattering drumming sound. A moment after I woke, a gust of wind blew through and the smell of rain filled the house. Then there was a flash and a rumble. The thunderstorm went on for an hour. It never came close to us. I laid in bed and counted after the flash and only got as close as twenty Mississippi. After the storm passed, I went back to sleep.

When I went out before dawn, the sky was clearing. The world was washed clean from the rain. It smelled like heaven. As I walked through the gardens, my vegetable garden, and the big garden, all the plants looked happy. It was already 70° and the sun wasn't even up yet, so I knew it was going to be a hot day.

Headed out through the big garden.

Sunrise on the first of July.

It turned out to be one of those hot, humid days that I love. A perfect First of July day. I know many people don't like this sort of weather, but I do. I love it when I can see the moisture in the air, a kind of haze that holds sunlight in a peculiar way. I can feel the air on my skin. And when I breathe it in, it carries aromas of earth and greenness. Working in this sort of weather calls for special protocols. I take everything in short spans with frequent pauses to rest and get a drink of cold water. That's how the morning went – work, sweat, rest, water, repeat.

When I stopped at noon for lunch, the thermometer was at 93°. Miriam said she was taking the children to Lyman Lake to swim and I decided to go with them. Lyman Lake is about half an hour from here, a lake formed by a dam across Lyman Run, which flows into Pine Creek, one of the tributaries of the Susquehanna River. The lake has a sandy beach at one end, near the dam. Because it was a hot day, there were a lot of people there. By "a lot" I estimate maybe a hundred. That's a lot for these parts. The water was cool and refreshing. We spent a couple of hours there. Then they decided they wanted to go back to Erway's pond to swim. I had them drop me off at home on their way past. I took advantage of the empty house to take a nap.

The evening was beautiful. I went out after dinner to wander through the gardens and noticed that the sky was full of magnificent clouds. I watched them for half an hour as sunset approached. 

It started like this.


It progressed to this.


Then this.


There was an odd little rainbow to the east.


This was how it looked to the east.

Thursday__________

On my morning walk I was on insect pest patrol. Earlier in the week, I spotted four pests within five minutes of each other – Striped Cucumber Beetles (Alcalymma vitattum), Squash Bugs (Anasa tristis), Squash Vine Borers (Melittia curcurbitae), and Colorado Potato Beetle (Leptinotarsa decemlineata). I like to know their official binomial nomenclature. It makes battling them feel more noble, like I'm a Roman Legionary attacking barbarian tribes. They were, appropriately, on the cucumbers, squash, melons, and potatoes. I had already dusted those plants with diatomaceous earth, but the rain had washed it off and it didn't seem to be very effective. On Wednesday I mixed up a concoction of neem oil and sprayed for them. This morning I checked to see if my spray had had any effect. It seems like there were fewer of them, but I still found some. They are especially bad this year and are causing a lot of damage. So the battle rages on. 

The offenders (top to bottom):
Striped Cucumber Beetle,
Squash Bug,
Squash Vine Borer,
Colorado Potato Beetle.

Our heat wave continued today. We hit 95°. I spent the morning watering in an attempt to fortify the plants against the heat. There was no rain in the forecast until Friday night and it was just a 20% chance. Despite my reluctance to exert myself, I mowed the lawn. I figured that with family arriving and everything that would be going on, it was my last chance before Independence Day. It was a hot job. I finished at 2:00, came inside, took a long cold drink, and then a nap. Miriam and the children were all at Erway's pond swimming, so the house, and I, were both at rest.

Stacey left at noon to go up to Buffalo to pick up Josiah and Vanessa, and Daniel, Raven, and Thistle. Despite some flight glitches, they arrived and got home at 7:30.  Rachel, Hazel, and Russell also arrived in the afternoon. Next door, Chase and two of his boys, Cash and Grant, arrived in the evening. They drove from St. George. Chase's wife Jamie and their daughter Ava arrived later at the Buffalo airport and Kurt and Julie picked them up. We still have a few more people yet to arrive – Tabor tomorrow, and Geoffrey, Joni, and Ellie on Saturday morning. The party atmosphere is building.

Stopping for ice cream on the way back from the airport.

In the evening, a group went into town to a private showing of Toy Story 5. They said they liked it. 

Choosing candy at the concession stand before the movie.

Ready for the movie.

While they were at the movies, those of us at home took a long stroll around the property. It had been a long time since some of them had been here in the summer. They noted a lot of changes. The westerners are not used to our humidity.

Daniel, Raven, and Thistle in the treehouse.

After the people got back from the movies, we gathered at dark out in the big garden for a bonfire. Later, some took the telescope out to the big garden to look at the stars. Then it was time to get everyone situated for bedtime. Rachel, Miriam, and Hannah left to go to the Foster's where they will be sleeping. Daniel, Raven, and Thistle, are staying in Miriam's room. Josiah and Vanessa are in Hannah's room. All of the children are in the big room upstairs tonight, but starting tomorrow, most of the girls will be sleeping in a tent out under the treehouse next door and the older boys will be sleeping in the treehouse. Sitting here listening to everyone settle in, the house feels full and happy.

At the bonfire.

Friday__________

A warm and quiet morning. Everyone slept until after 7:00 except me. I took advantage of the quiet time to do my morning chores and walk the garden before all the activity began.  Soon after that, the house woke up and away we went.

Josiah helped me do some work after breakfast. He climbed into one of the big maples at the end of the front yard and cut down some big dangling dead branches. He helped me move that brush pile of wild rose bushes to the burn pile.

Josiah cutting branches.

After lunch, we all went to Erway's pond. By then we were at 95° and the water felt wonderful. When we got back from that, we set up the area out in the big garden where all our festivities will take place. We put up two canopies, and set up chairs. A brief thunderstorm blew through and blew down the canopies, but after it passed, we set them up again. Chase put up a tent and a big canvas canopy.

Cooling off in the pond.


Playing at the pond.

We had our traditional Friday homemade pizza made by Hannah. The Shilligs and Fosters brought salads. We sat in the slightly cooler evening and enjoyed great food and excellent company. After dinner we played lawn games and sat and chatted. Miriam and Hazel checked the beehives. The children scrambled around on their electric bikes, gators, and go-carts. The evening was perfect.

All set up and ready to party.

Eating and chatting.


Hazel checking the bees.

Florence and Thistle cruising.

At bedtime I went down to close the barn and Daniel and Tabor came with me to shoot rats. We saw several, but didn't hit any. We'll try again tomorrow night. Tonight the girls are sleeping in the tent. Russell and Henry are sleeping in the big room upstairs. Geoffrey, Joni, and Ellie arrived in Buffalo tonight and will spend the night there and drive down early tomorrow morning.

Saturday – Independence Day _____

Another quiet morning, but I knew the rest of the day would not be. We had a thunderstorm during the night and some rain, which made the morning fresh. The house stirred to life in waves. Josiah was up at 6:00. He and Tabor went fishing. One of the girls came in from the tent to use the restroom, but they went back out again before I could see who it was. Russell woke up at 7:00 and came downstairs for a bowl of cereal.

Tabor fishing in the Allegany.

Tabor's catch.

Josiah's catch.

A group left at 9:30 to go up to Angelica, New York, to their Independence Day event. There was a parade and an antiques fair. They got back at 1:00.

While they were gone, the kitchen was busy with preparations for the cookout. While they were working, we watched The Patriot (2000), my favorite Revolutionary War movie. I have ancestors who fought and died in the Revolutionary War on both my father's New England, and my mother's Pennsylvania German sides. I'm grateful for their sacrifice in helping create the greatest nation in the history of the world.


As usually happens, there was a gathering in the music room to sing a few songs together. This Cattle Call song is one of the favorites.


Dinner was at 3:00 and, as always, the food was excellent. The weather, however, left something to be desired. It rained off and on all afternoon and into the evening. The rainy spells, sometimes with thunder and lightning, never lasted very long and we didn't let them dampen our celebration. In addition to our family, we had the missionaries from Olean and a family from church who are only in the area temporarily.

Lining up for food.

Filling our plates.

Eating and chatting.

After eating, some went swimming, some stayed behind and played games, some took a little nap (me). As it grew dark, the fireworks began. We put on a great show. We had a great day together celebrating our independence.

Games.

Getting to watch fireworks.


The grand finale.

Sunday__________

The Sabbath dawned gray and foggy. I was up at the usual time, got dressed for church, and read through my Sunday School lesson. This week's lesson is about the prophet Elijah, one of my favorite people in the Old Testament. I love the account of Elijah and his dealings with Ahab and Jezebel and apostate Baal worshiping Israel. There is so much drama. After reading the lesson, I treated myself to listening to selections from Mendelssohn's fabulous oratorio Elijah. It is full of beautiful music. Some of my favorite parts are the arias "If with all your heart you truly seek me," "Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel," and "O Rest in the Lord," the quartet "Cast thy burden upon the Lord," and the chorus "He, watching over Israel, slumbers not nor sleeps." Gorgeous music. I had to listen with earphones because the rest of the house was still asleep.

As the house stirred to life, things got more hectic. Coordinating bathroom use with so many people can be challenging. There were problems with missing shoes and getting hair brushed and such. Somehow we worked it out, everyone got ready, and we left for church in five cars. Church was great. There were 49 people there, more than double the number we had last week. And most of them were family. Our meetings were good. Julie taught a great Sunday School lesson. Afterward we took our traditional After Church Photo on the lawn behind the chapel.

After church today.

When we got home, we changed into our color coordinated patriotic clothes and took family photos. That was also pretty chaotic, getting everyone to stand still and in the right place long enough to get a good photo. Here are some shots from the family photo shoot.

The whole gang.

Geoffrey, Joni, Ellie, Gwen, and Henry.

Rachel, Tabor, Hazel, June, Mabel, Florence, Russell, and ?

I don't know where the photo of Sarah and Tosh is.

Miriam and Hannah.

Daniel and Raven (no Thistle).

Josiah and Vanessa.

With all of our grandchildren.

This was fast Sunday and we broke our fast with hamburgers, hot dogs, and other leftovers from yesterday's feast. We ate out in the big garden and a big storm blew in just as we were finishing. We had to dash to the house. It is pouring rain right now. The weather for the week ahead looks spotty – rain off and on, thunderstorms now and then, maybe a bit of sunshine. It's going to be a busy week no matter what. I have garden projects I hope to get done while I have sons here to help me. There will be more swimming and games, big meals including a Mexican fiesta tomorrow. There are outings planned during the week – a trip to the temple, a trip to Kirtland, and I don't even know what else. I just go where they tell me to and sit back and take it all in. Having all my children and their families here is more wonderful than I can express.

I hope you had a festive Independence Day and felt the joy of living in a free and prosperous constitutional republic. Good Sabbath and God bless America!