One evening a week or so ago, Stacey and I were out running errands. It was a cold day and we were driving up to Wellsville in the dusk. It was a beautiful winter twilit evening. As the last light of the sun was fading, the sky was dark blue paling to green toward the horizon. As we drove along, I could see the lighted windows of houses we passed, giving glimpses into the interiors of unknown lives. It filled me with a feeling I can hardly describe. All those windows. All those lives. People I did not know and who did not know me. And I remembered the first time I felt that feeling. I was young, maybe seven or eight, and I was riding in the car with my family at night. We were driving home from church in Harrisburg. We stopped at a traffic light and I looked out the window at the car stopped beside us and saw the people in it, a family with the father driving and the mother beside him and two children in the back seat. There was a boy sitting by the window closest to me and he was looking over at me. The light changed and we drove away. It occurred to me then for the first time that there were countless other people I did not know who had lives I knew nothing about and they did not know I even existed. It was a revelation to me.
By the time Stacey and I completed our errands and arrived home, it was dark. The moon had risen and the world was transformed. The sky was inky dark and speckled with a million stars. I saw Jupiter shining in the west, a brilliant and unblinking point of light, and Orion rising on his back above the hilltop to the east. The moon that night was in its waxing gibbous phase, more than three quarters full and bright. The moonlight cast purple shadows on blue snow. As we walked to the house, the snow was powder dry and squeaked like corn starch under our shoes. I stopped on the front porch steps and looked around me. I wanted to remember the moment. I wanted to find words to fix it all in my head. I came into the house and tried to write it down before it left me.
I don't know why I feel such a compulsion to put things into words, but I know that it began when I was a teenager. In 1975, when I was seventeen, I bought a notebook at the stationery store in town and began to keep a journal. From that time until now, I've filled many notebooks and journals. I've written hundreds, perhaps thousands, of letters, emails, and blog entries. I'm always taking mental notes, thinking of ways to describe what I see, hear, and feel, and then put it into words. If I come up with what I deem to be a good description, I try to remember it so I can write it down. More times than not, by the time I sit to write, the words are gone and I have to settle for some feebler phrase.
I love words. There is a term for a lover of words, logophile, based on the Greek, logos (λογοζ), meaning "word", and philos (φιλοζ), meaning "love." I am a logophile. To take a thought, a story, a scene and find the right words and then arrange them properly to describe it, is like magic to me. (The word "describe" comes from Latin describere, meaning to write down.) I admire the great authors, playwrights, and poets, and envy their ability to craft words into beautiful, inspirational, even terrifying phrases. To make another person feel joy, anger, sadness, or fear through words is a powerful thing. It is a gift I long to possess.
Sometimes people say that they are at a loss for words. That is a feeling I know well. There are a lot of words in the English language, enough to get lost in when I'm looking for the "right" word. English is a bit different from many other languages because it began as a Germanic language and then got mixed with Norman French and then borrowed or made many words based on Latin and Greek. I wondered how many words there actually are in the English language and how it compares with other languages, so I looked it up. Different sources use different criteria for determining the number of words in a language. I decided to go with the ones that count the number of words in the standard dictionary for that language. The Oxford English Dictionary, whose second edition fills twenty volumes and is considered by most to be the definitive English dictionary, puts the number at around 600,000. Apparently Korean ranks at the top in the world's languages with over 1,100,000 words. I'm glad I don't have to grapple with over a million words, 600,000 is enough.
| Sun setting over Gale Crater on Mars, April 15, 2015. |
| Byrd, Bach, Beethoven. Brahms, Bruckner, Bruch. Borodin, Barber, Bernstein. |
| A four foot long icicle hanging from the barn gutter. |
| Icicles on the side of the house. |
| My watercolor setup. |
| Wing of a Blue Roller, watercolor by Albrecht Dürer. |
On Friday afternoon, Stacey, Hannah, and I headed south to visit the Thayns and to go to the temple. Miriam couldn't go with us because she was housesitting. We packed the car with all the things the Thayns left here on their Christmas/New Years visit and left at 3:30. We arrived at their house at 8:00. It was too late to do much of anything, so we just played a game or two and enjoyed being together. On Saturday we ate breakfast and then went to one of Hazel's basketball games. From there, Stacey, Hannah, and I drove to the Pittsburgh Temple for a 1:00 session. It was the first time we attended a session at that temple. It's much bigger than the Palmyra Temple and I got lost twice, turning down the wrong hallway. Luckily, there are always lots of kind and helpful people in the temple. We had a wonderful experience. There is nothing quite as soothing and uplifting to my soul as time spent in the temple. From the temple, we drove straight home again. We arrived home at 7:00 and found all as it should be. Our weekend visit was far too short. I don't think we'll all be able to get together again until the middle of February.
| At Hazel's basketball game. |
We're getting some very cold weather this week. The forecast says to expect a high temperature of 8° tomorrow and a low of -7° tomorrow night. Tuesday is even colder with an expected high of 2° and a low of -11°. This being cold Gold, I'm sure we will be even colder than that. We're always colder. So I plan to stay indoors as much as possible. We have a good supply of wood. I've got a houseful of books. I think I'll go on another alphabetical music binge. This time I'll do composers with surnames starting with "M." There are some great ones: Mahler, Mendelssohn, Monteverdi, Mussorgsky, Mozart. It's going to be a fine week despite the cold.
On Thursday Stacey and I are taking a short trip to Utah to visit Geoffrey and his family. We won't be home again until Monday night, so next week's Journal will be late, but it will be full of adventure. Good Sabbath.