 |
| Evening color. |
This will be a short Journal. I was under the weather all week last week and have nothing of note to report. I wasn’t able to do much of anything but wallow in my misery. And if that sounds like I’m being overly dramatic, I’m not. Being under the weather was bad enough, but the actual weather was unbelievably beautiful, which made my inability to be out fully enjoying it seem tragic.
We are ten days into October and, aside from a very light frost at the last of September, we’ve had no significant cold. I can’t remember a milder, prettier October. The hills, at least the ones I can see from here, are full of color now. My flower gardens are still going strong. Zinnias, calendulas, cosmos, anemones, petunias, and scabious still look lovely. My heavenly blue morning glories are blooming at last. I make it a point to take a little walk every day to enjoy them. Seeing them helps to heal me.
 |
| Cosmos. |
 |
| Heavenly blue. |
 |
| More each day. |
Unfortunately, while on those little walks I also see the myriad things needing to be done that I can not do. The lawn is shaggy and full of leaves. It’s time to do some heavy trimming along the wild edges of the yard. And the weeds have taken advantage of the fair weather and me being indisposed to attempt a garden coup.
I did help with planting garlic midweek. I took the least strenuous part of the job and even that tired me out. But I’m glad it’s done. I was also worried about my apples. There were trees that needed to be picked, but I had some helpers. Kurt, Julie, and Miriam picked them for me. There’s still a lot of picking yet to do in the days ahead. I hope I’ll soon be up to it.
 |
| Kurt and Julie helping pick apples. |
 |
| Ripe blackberries at last. |
I’m on the mend now. I feel stronger. All I need to do is get rid of this persistent cough. I have medicines and vitamins to help me and family and friends to take care of me. It looks like this fair weather will stay with us in the week ahead. Perhaps I’ll be fit enough to be out in it, walking, working, maybe to take a drive along the back roads to drink in the beauty, and renew my soul.