The very first spring after we arrived here, I set up birdhouses on my property. There were already two birdhouses here – a little wren house that my aunts hung in one of the front maples and a big multi-chambered swallow house. The big swallow house was sitting on a tree stump and in need of repair. We fixed it up and set it on a pole in the back yard. It was very heavy and not very functional. It didn’t stay up for very long. The swallows never were interested in it. It eventually fell off the pole and resumed its position on a stump where its condition deteriorated over the years. It was used by squirrels and chipmunks to store seeds and pine cones. I finally burned it last year.
The little wren house was also in need of some repair and was stuffed full of decaying twigs and grass. I could tell that it hadn’t housed a bird in a long time. I fixed it up and set it back in its traditional place. One year a pair of wrens nested in it, but just that once and never again. It still hangs in its traditional place as a decoration and a sort of homage to my aunts who were bird lovers like me.
The little wren house was also in need of some repair and was stuffed full of decaying twigs and grass. I could tell that it hadn’t housed a bird in a long time. I fixed it up and set it back in its traditional place. One year a pair of wrens nested in it, but just that once and never again. It still hangs in its traditional place as a decoration and a sort of homage to my aunts who were bird lovers like me.
![]() |
| The little decorative wren house. |
Other birdhouses have moved around the property over the years as I’ve tried to find the places most attractive to the birds. My dream has always been to attract bluebirds. Bluebirds are beautiful, gentle birds with a soft song. I did some research and learned what conditions they prefer. I acquired five houses that were designed specifically for bluebirds and set them up in various parts of the orchard. For years after that, bluebirds came and checked the houses out. But that’s all they ever did. They would sit on the houses, go in and out for a few days, and then fly off to nest somewhere else. When the bluebirds moved on, the tree swallows would move in. I didn’t mind that. Tree swallows are lovely birds too and if the bluebirds weren’t interested, I was glad the tree swallows were. Sometimes house sparrows would try to move in. They are trashy birds, non-native and invasive. I’ve spent a lot time and energy trying to dissuade them. They are very persistent and aggressive and will drive out and even kill the tree swallows. One year the only birds that came to my houses were house sparrows and in a fit of pique I took all the birdhouses down. They stayed down for several years.
This spring I decided to put up my bluebird houses again. Some of them were in bad shape and not useable anymore, but two of them were in good condition. I’ve long given up on the bluebirds, so I put the houses where I knew tree swallows would find them attractive. I placed them on two sides of the arbor that my kiwi vines grow on. And, wouldn’t you know it – bluebirds came right away. I was so excited when I saw them, a male and a female, going in and out of one of the houses. For several days the pair was there and then they left. Then tree swallows showed up and began to fly around the house, going in and out, carrying nesting material. Oh well, I thought, that’s okay. Then the bluebirds returned – and the war began. For several weeks now the blue birds and the tree swallows have been squabbling over that birdhouse. They dive at each other. They chase each other. They chatter and fuss. Sometimes it seems like the bluebirds have won and moved in. Then they leave and the swallows move in. Then they leave and the bluebirds come back. Then they both come back at the same time and flutter and fight. There is another birdhouse right on the other side of the arbor. I wish they’d compromise and one would use one house and the other, the other. But they only want the same house. So far neither species has moved in permanently. If they don’t resolve this soon, I know what will happen next. The trashy house sparrows will move in and I’ll take the houses down again. It’s so frustrating.
This spring I decided to put up my bluebird houses again. Some of them were in bad shape and not useable anymore, but two of them were in good condition. I’ve long given up on the bluebirds, so I put the houses where I knew tree swallows would find them attractive. I placed them on two sides of the arbor that my kiwi vines grow on. And, wouldn’t you know it – bluebirds came right away. I was so excited when I saw them, a male and a female, going in and out of one of the houses. For several days the pair was there and then they left. Then tree swallows showed up and began to fly around the house, going in and out, carrying nesting material. Oh well, I thought, that’s okay. Then the bluebirds returned – and the war began. For several weeks now the blue birds and the tree swallows have been squabbling over that birdhouse. They dive at each other. They chase each other. They chatter and fuss. Sometimes it seems like the bluebirds have won and moved in. Then they leave and the swallows move in. Then they leave and the bluebirds come back. Then they both come back at the same time and flutter and fight. There is another birdhouse right on the other side of the arbor. I wish they’d compromise and one would use one house and the other, the other. But they only want the same house. So far neither species has moved in permanently. If they don’t resolve this soon, I know what will happen next. The trashy house sparrows will move in and I’ll take the houses down again. It’s so frustrating.
![]() |
| The disputed birdhouse on the kiwi arbor. |
![]() |
| Bluebird, tree swallow, house wren, house sparrow - not my photos. |
I also have a small birdhouse that has been out on the grape arbor for years. It has occupants every year – sometimes wrens, sometimes chickadees. This year it is wrens. Wrens, for all their tiny cuteness, are not nice birds. Yes, they have a happy song (although my daughter Sarah doesn’t think so because they used to sing incessantly in the early, early morning outside her bedroom window), and yes, they are voracious bug and caterpillar eaters, but they can be mean to other bird species. They don’t like other birds to nest near them. They will harass other birds. They will steal eggs from other birds' nests and break them. They will stuff every birdhouse in their vicinity with twigs to make them unuseable. This year’s wrens have been well behaved so far. Because neither the bluebirds nor the tree swallows have actually moved in, I don’t think they feel threatened. Nature is often as brutal as it is lovely.
![]() |
| The wren/chickadee house on the grape arbor. |
On Tuesday morning when I went down to the barn I found a dead hen. She had not died a natural death, but had been killed and partly eaten. By the way she was mangled, I assumed it was either a possum or a skunk. I haven’t been closing the chickens in at night for a long time now. They like to be up and out long before I do, so I keep their little outside door open all the time. Now, with a murdered hen, I knew I had to start closing them in again until the culprit could be caught. So on Tuesday evening Miriam, Stacey, and I all went down to close the barn and see if the perpetrator might have returned. Miriam had the .22 rifle with her just in case. I closed the door on the outside and then we went into the barn to look around. There was a skunk. Miriam shot it and we were pleased that it had not sprayed. But it wasn’t fully dead, so she shot it again. And it sprayed. I went in with a shovel to carry it out, but the smell was so overpowering that it made me retch. Miriam, who apparently tolerates horrible smells better than I do, had to remove it. When we came up to the house we all three stank. We had to throw our clothes into the washer right away. We were glad to be rid of the skunk. Only we weren’t. When I went down on Wednesday morning and opened the barn, I couldn’t go in. The smell was still overpowering. Even on the upper floor. I did some reading and decided to try a recommended method for getting rid of the smell. I raked out the straw from the corner where it sprayed (retching the entire time) and then sprayed the area with a mix of bleach and water. The smell is still there, but is slowly diminishing.
I’ve noticed an increase in deer activity in the yard again. There are piles of fresh droppings in the orchard most mornings. There are tracks through the soft soil in the flowerbeds. They’ve been nibbling on my sweet peas and my ornamental kale. They’ve eaten all the leaves off the hostas in the woodland garden. They’ve been out in the orchard eating the lower leaves and twigs of the apple trees. I’ve resorted to methods I’ve used before to try and discourage their visiting. I hung bars of Irish Spring soap in old socks in various parts of the orchard. There is a dead deer on the side of the road just down from us today. I’m hoping it was the one that has been eating my garden.
Meanwhile out in the garden the summer flowers are on their way. All in one day the first poppy, the first rose, and the first cornflower opened. The first peony bloomed the next day. The irises are still in full flower. And one of my favorite little summer flowers, the Sweet Williams, are in bloom. The lilies all have buds. Summer is glorious with its vibrant and fragrant flowers.
I’ve noticed an increase in deer activity in the yard again. There are piles of fresh droppings in the orchard most mornings. There are tracks through the soft soil in the flowerbeds. They’ve been nibbling on my sweet peas and my ornamental kale. They’ve eaten all the leaves off the hostas in the woodland garden. They’ve been out in the orchard eating the lower leaves and twigs of the apple trees. I’ve resorted to methods I’ve used before to try and discourage their visiting. I hung bars of Irish Spring soap in old socks in various parts of the orchard. There is a dead deer on the side of the road just down from us today. I’m hoping it was the one that has been eating my garden.
Meanwhile out in the garden the summer flowers are on their way. All in one day the first poppy, the first rose, and the first cornflower opened. The first peony bloomed the next day. The irises are still in full flower. And one of my favorite little summer flowers, the Sweet Williams, are in bloom. The lilies all have buds. Summer is glorious with its vibrant and fragrant flowers.
![]() |
| The first poppy, rose, cornflower, and peony. |
![]() |
| Two new colors in the iris patch. |
![]() |
| My Sweet Williams. |
Thursday was Miriam’s birthday. We had a nice celebration. She didn’t want a cake. Instead she made chocolate ice cream. She got nice gifts from family and friends. She got to talk to family via Skype and telephone. When she was small the other children believed that Miriam was my favorite child. I don’t really have a favorite child. I’ll just say that Miriam is my favorite child at home right now.
![]() |
| Miriam's birthday. |
Today is Fathers Day and this year I’m feeling even more grateful for my father than I usually do. He gave us quite a scare a few weeks ago. He had a series of health problems that put him in the hospital. I’m glad he’s here for Fathers Day this year. His health and my parents’ age has led to a big change for them. This week they are moving from their home in Warrenton, Missouri, to live with my sister Hollie and her family in Rocky Mount, North Carolina. It was time. My sisters Jaynan and Nancy took turns being with my parents during dad’s recovery. Nancy is still there helping them prepare for the move. Hollie and Jim will fly out this week and drive them back to South Carolina. My sisters are wonderful for doing all of this. We’ve offered before for my parents to come and live but they didn’t want to deal with our Potter County winters. I don’t blame them – I don’t either. Now that they will be in South Carolina, they will be closer to us by five hours. We’ll have to finally make that trip down to Rocky Mount that we’ve been meaning to make for the last 20 years. My dad is a great man and I am blessed to be the son of such a good man.
![]() |
| Some photos of my dad. |
Stacey and Miriam made a treat to take to church for the fathers – cinnamon rolls. They even made a tray of sugar free ones for me and the other men at church who have restricted diets. They were delicious. After lunch today I will open some Fathers Day gifts that came in the mail. And I will talk to all my children and grandchildren at some point during the day, I’m sure. I’m glad I’m a father. I’ve been blessed with some pretty great children. Happy Fathers Day!








