Sunday, March 24, 2019

Spring Has Sprung

Spring arrived last week – so the calendar said. You really couldn’t tell. Yes, there were a few sunny days, but they weren’t warm days. There are still some persistent patches of snow here and there. Until they are all gone, it seems like winter still has us in its clutches. I’m glad we're past the equinox now. The lead up to the long light days has picked up its pace. June is on its way.
The first crocuses are up.

The flower beds are full of new shoots.
The Thayns wanted us to come down and have a work day at their house on Saturday. Miriam, Hannah, and Josiah said they would go down. There is plenty of work to do at our own house, but their weather promised to be ten degrees warmer than ours and it had been a while since I was there for a visit, so I decided to go too. Besides, this is a fourth Sunday and I didn’t have to teach. Stacey didn’t go with us. She had her Family History Center to do on Saturday and her Primary on Sunday. She said she would stay home and do the chores and take care of the music at church for me. We were sorry to leave her behind. Next month her Family History Center hours change to Tuesday evenings, so she’ll be able to do more things on Saturdays.

So we went to the Thayns. We left after work on Friday. It takes us about four hours to get there. We stopped in Punxytawney and got pizza to eat as we drove. We arrived at 8:45. That was late enough that we didn’t have time to do anything before bedtime. Saturday was a busy day.

We spent the entire day working outside. Josiah took down the outdoor Christmas lights for them. We raked the yard. We cut brush and vines. We burned dead brush and weeds on the slope in their front yard. The Thayns have decided to get chickens so our main object was getting an area in the yard ready while Josiah and Tabor worked on building a coop. They built it in the garage and then carried it out to the place we had prepared. It was hard work and I loved every minute of it. I’m ready for it.

Josiah taking down Christmas lights.
Burning brush.

Pulling down wild grape vines.

Playing on wild grape vines.

Building the coop.

Moving the coop.

Inspecting the coop (it;s not finished yet).
Today we went to church with the Thayns. After church we went back for a quick lunch and went to a park to walk in the woods. We were hoping to see birds, but there weren’t many to be seen. After our walk we parted ways. The Thayns went to their home and we headed to our home. 

On our walk.

On our walk.

On our walk.
The ride home seemed long. We arrived here at 7:30. As always, it’s good to be home. Stacey seemed glad to see us and that was good. She filled us in on everything that happened here while we were gone. Now it’s late and I’m tired in the way I always am after a long car ride. The week looms ahead. The weather looks like it will be warming a bit and I’m looking forward to spending as much time as I can out working in my yard. The Thayns are coming up here to visit us this week – Rachel and the girls, that is, Tabor is going out of town. They are planning to help with some yard work here. That will be great.