Our
autumn leaves turned out to be a dull disappointment. After waiting an
entire year to experience the glory of them and then having them fizzle
out, I wanted to know why. I turned to my favorite naturalist author,
Edwin Way Teal, for an answer. In his book Autumn Across America,
he explained in some detail how the process works – or sometimes
doesn’t. I’ll summarize what he wrote. Bright yellow leaves are the
result of two pigments, carotene and xanthophyll. These compounds are
present in the leaves all summer long, but are masked by green
chlorophyll. In autumn the chlorophyll breaks down into colorless
compounds, the green disappears, and the yellow pigments shine.
Red
and orange leaves are produced by anthocyanins, pigments that are
carried in solution in the sap of the trees. These pigments only develop
where sunshine strikes the leaves. The presence of sugars in the sap
increases its production, that’s why sugar maples are (usually) so
vibrant. When temperatures drop below 45°, sugars build up in the leaves
and that, plus some sunshine, triggers the development of the red
colors. Then as the green chlorophyll breaks down, the red colors
predominate. So it turns out that clear skies and brisk weather are the
factors that create bright fall colors. Mild, cloudy weather produces
dull foliage. Mild and cloudy pretty much describes our entire summer
and fall. We didn’t have a frost until mid October and it has been
overcast and rainy for months. That’s why our leaves were dull this
year. I’m still sad and disappointed about it, but I feel so much more
informed now.
 |
| October last year. |
 |
| October this year. |
 |
| Today. |
On
Tuesday I was in school all day. It rained off and on all day, but as I
was coming home from school, the rain stopped and the sun was shining. I
was so happy to see it. There were so many things I wanted to do
outdoors. When I got home, I quickly changed into my work clothes and
headed to the barn to get the chores done so I could start on other
things. The barn is about thirty yards from the house. By the time I got
there, the sky had clouded over and it was hailing. I stood in the
upper part of the barn for twenty minutes waiting for the hail to stop.
The sound of the hail on the metal roof was amazing. When it finally
stopped, I finished the chores. The sun came out again briefly and I
started for the garden to work, but then the clouds took over again and
it began to rain. I gave up after that and stayed indoors the rest of
the afternoon. The weather has been so temperamental, changing
dramatically from minute to minute.
Wednesday was a
cold and gloomy day, but it wasn’t raining, so I went out after school
and did some garden work. I dug up my dahlias and gladiolus. I washed
them and set them to dry on the back porch This week I will pack them in
bins of peat moss and put them down cellar for the winter. They were
especially beautiful this summer. I hope most of them survive the winter
to delight us again next year. I also planted the rest of my bulbs that
afternoon. I planted more tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths. As I buried
the last of them in the cold, cold ground, I said “See you next
spring.” And that was all for planting this year.
 |
| Dahlia tubers washed and ready to dry. |
There
was no school on Friday and the weather was cold but clear, so I spent
most of the day outdoors. I had to bundle up and even then my hands and
feet got cold. I mowed leaves. I weed whacked parts of the yard that
were overgrown with weeds. I continued cleaning out flowerbeds. I cut
down the dead asparagus and the giant castor bean plants. I pulled up
the runner beans and picked off all the dried pods. When Josiah got
home, he helped me spread straw on parts of the vegetable garden. He
also helped me shell the runner beans. The beans are very pretty.
 |
| A frostbitten castor bean plant just before its removal. |
 |
| The garden getting ready for a winter's sleep. |
 |
| Shelling runner beans. |
 |
| Pretty runner beans. |
I
also picked apples that day. The Winesap, Winter Banana, and Caville
Blanc apples were ready. I picked six bucketfuls total. Now the only
apples left to pick are the Northern Spies. They are ripe. Most of the
ones within reach are already picked and only the ones up high are left.
We need to pick them soon.
We are in the middle of
processing pumpkins right now. On Friday I got out the pressure cooker
and processed four pumpkins. I cut them, gutted them, cooked them,
pureed them, and froze the puree. On Saturday between Stacey and I, we
processed seven more. There are still three more to process. I will work
on that this week. There are also twenty butternut squash. I will
process some of them the same way this week, but most I’ll store whole
and eat them over the next few weeks. We had a good harvest of pumpkins
and squash this year.
I had garden plans for yesterday
hoping the weather forecast would be wrong. Josiah and I were going to
clean leaves out of the gutters, work on hauling more old straw out of
the barn, and pick Northern Spy apples. But it seems the forecast is
never wrong when it predicts rain, only when it predicts sunshine. All
day long a cold rain fell, sometimes it poured. So we switched to an
indoor project instead. We decided to change the light in the music
room. Rachel gave us a chandelier from her house that we thought would
look nice in the music room and maybe give us more light. Josiah and I
worked on it together, but I have a morbid fear of electrocution and
left most of it up to Josiah. He figured out how to do the wiring and
put it all together and then Hannah and I helped him hang it up. It
turned out great and the room is much brighter and a bit more elegant
looking.
 |
| Josiah working on wiring the new light. |
 |
| The new light in the music room. |
The
cold weather has brought birds flocking to my feeders. Most of them are
the usual visitors – blue jays, various finches and sparrows,
cardinals, downy and hairy woodpeckers, and now juncos, but some of them
are species I don’t commonly see – red-bellied woodpeckers, pine
siskins, and, for several days now, evening grosbeaks. Evening grosbeaks
are beautiful, but shy. I’m trying to take some good photos of them,
but it’s as if they can sense when I point the camera at them and they
fly away. During the cold and garden-less weeks, feeding and watching
birds is one of the things that keeps me sane and happy. That and
tending to my houseplants.
 |
| Evening grosbeaks at the feeder. |
Speaking
of houseplants, on Friday I was in K-Mart in Wellsville and at the
checkout counter there were these sad looking orchids for sale. Most of
them looked like they were not long for this world, but one of them
looked salvageable. I couldn’t resist rescuing it. It has an impressive
name – Oncidesa Hwuluduen Chameleon. It is different from the moth orchids (Phalaenopsis) I already have, but its care requirements are the same. It will bring a bit of flora happiness for me in the cold days ahead.
 |
| My new orchid. |
My
son Daniel was married yesterday. It was a sudden decision that didn’t
allow us time enough to attend. He married a girl he’s known for a
while. Her name is Raven. They were married in Idaho near Coeur d’Alene.
They will be living near Spokane, Washington. My sister Nancy and her
husband Bob were able to attend the ceremony. Nancy sent some photos
this morning. Daniel tells us they plan to travel east in the spring so
we can meet Raven.
 |
| Daniel and Raven. |
It’s
another cold and gloomy day. We’re home from church now. Josiah is
working on firing up the wood stove. Lunch is almost ready. After that I
will quickly do the chores and then I’m headed for a nice Sabbath nap.
Cold and gloomy Sunday afternoons were made for napping and reading by
the wood stove. And that’s exactly what I intend to do.