Sunday, April 8, 2018

April - Will the Whole Month Be a Joke?



April’s weather has been a yo-yo so far and it’s making me crazy. Last Monday we woke up to snow, but it warmed up and it all melted by the afternoon. As soon as it was gone, the purple crocuses burst into bloom. Then it rained on Tuesday. On Wednesday the weather went wild. It was rainy at first then typhoon force winds roared in. The temperature dropped and the rain turned to snow. Sometimes the snow was so thick we couldn’t see the barn from the house. Then the sun would shine for a bit and the snow would melt. All day it was back and forth, snow, sun, snow, sun. And all the time the wind was howling. But when night came, the wind died down and the snow stayed. Thursday morning at 5:00 a.m. the sound of the snow plow woke me up. The world was white again. I wanted to pull the covers up over my head and stay in bed until it all went away. Friday we had snow, then rain, then snow again. Yesterday we woke up to find the world covered with three inches of snow. It seems like the sun and the air are battling for possession of the season. The sunshine is strong and has the power to warm and thaw, but the air is cold (I blame Canada) and its clouds block the sun and keep us frozen. The sun will win eventually, but I wish it would hurry up.

Crocuses on Monday afternoon.

This morning - crocuses under there somewhere.
The calendar says it’s spring and some days it feels like spring – for a few hours. Then winter crashes back in on us. My brain is telling me it’s time for spring cleaning. I love spring cleaning. I look forward to it every year. The windows need to be washed. The floors need to be scrubbed. The rugs need to be hauled out and beaten. The back porch and the woodshed need to be cleared out. There are cupboards and closets and drawers begging to be tidied and organized. I need to clean! But not when it’s 20° and snowing. I need to be able to open windows and air things out and I can’t do that when it’s so cold. And I have projects in the garden waiting for warmer days.

The Thayns arrived on Friday evening to spend the weekend with us. It’s always fun when they come to visit. We’ve had several Easter egg hunts (indoors because of the snow). We took Hazel and June over to our friends, Bob and Nancy Jones’, farm to see their newly hatched chicks. Hazel and June helped me do the chores. We played games. Mabel is at that fun age when she is just starting to walk and loves to climb and doesn’t know what danger is. And Grandma and Grandpa’s house has lots of danger – the heater grate, the wood stove, the steep stairs. We have to set up barricades and keep a close eye on her. But she is adorable.
Breakfast by the wood stove.

Easter egg hunt.

Baby chicks!

Helping collect eggs.

Mabel trying to climb the bookcase.
Yesterday Rachel and Tabor found out that the bid they put on a house was accepted! It’s a very nice house near Jeanette, outside Pittsburgh. Their escrow closes on May 21st. They are so excited, and we are so happy for them!

The Thayn's new house (photo from the online listing).
Today I got to teach one of my favorite lessons. We’ve reached the point in our study of the Old Testament that we’ve begun the book of Exodus. I love the story of Moses and the deliverance of the Children of Israel from bondage in Egypt. I’ve been teaching the Gospel Doctrine class for eighteen years now, which means, with the four year subject rotation, that this is the fifth time I’ve taught the Old Testament and I love it. I never get tired of studying the Scriptures. There’s always more to learn. I took some of our Passover items to show the class – the seder plate and Elijah cup. I wanted to take some Passover food to share too – matzah, horseradish, macaroons – but today was Fast Sunday and everyone was fasting, so I didn’t.

Hazel, June, and Mabel wore their Easter dresses that Rachel made for them to church today. I have beautiful granddaughters. We’re home from church now. It was snowing when we drove home, but isn’t accumulating. I see that the forecast says we’ll be in the 50's at the end of the week. I’m looking forward to that. Dinner is almost ready and after that and the chores, we’ll spend a leisurely afternoon together. The Thayns are leaving tomorrow morning to go home. Later this week Stacey and Miriam are flying west to go to a wedding. That means I’ll be home alone for a few days. If the weather is good, it will be a perfect time to start that spring cleaning!
Easter dresses!